|THE GROVE COMET||59th YEAR||FINAL EDITION||VOLUME 6|
Section Two ~ Page 6
|History Of Clubs As In COMET|
|One of the earliest clubs at Grove was the
Gooks. It was organized in 1912 as a girls' secret society for the purpose of improving
the school. They helped the teachers by doing extra things for class and conducting
experiments. After school hours the Gooks were the highest social order a young girl could
reach if she attended Grove.
Two early clubs at Grove that were closely related were the Elizabeth Browning Literary Society and the Hamilton Literary Society. The Browning Society was organized in 1907 by Mrs. W. W. Dale to increase knowledge and appreciation for the best literature, to help those who were interested in that literature, and to provide social hours for the members. The Hamilton Society was organized by the Chappell brothers as they realized the need for a good literary society for boys. The aim of the club was to enable boys to think on their feet and to express themselves before an audience.
The Music Club began in 1930. Musicians through the ages and their works were reported on and various works were presented by outstanding members. Its members were regular music students who met to practice works of great composers.
Miss Sue Chenoweth opened the Expression Class in 1912 to give students lessons and actual work in reading, public speaking, expression, and dramatics.
In 1930 ancient history was revived through the History Club. Lectures were given and a discussion of the topic followed. Its main purpose was to brighten up this sometimes dull subject. Another subject brought to life was mathematics through the Neo Pythagorean Club (followers of Pythagoras, a Greek mathematician). In a typical program, detailed reports and discussions on such men as Einstein were given.
The F. F. T. Club was organized in 1931 as a. forerunner of today's Future Farmers of America. They met to discuss agriculture, not only about our nation, but of foreign countries also.
The Radio Club had its beginning in 1931. Members learned such things as how radio works, its uses, and benefits. The Astronomy and Geography Club was another science-centered organization. Such things as stars, climate, and weather were topics for programs.
Under the sponsorship of Mr. McNeely, the Health Club had as its purpose "to help promote better health in both the school .and the community." It was often termed the "Livliest Club on the Hill."
Since its beginning in 1931, the Letter Club now G Club, has been one of the leading clubs at Grove. In its early years this club met regularly for discussions of athletics, and helped to put over all programs for the school.
Before FHA was organized at Grove, the Home EC Club served the same purpose. They held initiations which included making the girls wear their hair in several pigtails, each tied with a different colored ribbon and walking to classes on their knees. Another organization for girls was the Girl Reserves. This club had weekly meetings and studied things such as etiquette and countries around the world.
The Journalism Club started in 1930 and was engaged in the appreciation of creative writing. Also in 1930 the Shakespeare Club was organized. The purpose of this group was to study the plots and characters of Shakespearean plays.
Formerly the "High Glee Club", presented a spring concert annually with the band. One of its earliest sponsors was Mrs. Pardue.
Members of the Magazine Club, beginning in 1930, tried to learn to identify good magazines and read only that kind. During 1930-1931, a magazine contest was held with Sam Oliver coming out on top.
The only club exclusively for Freshmen, the Book Club had its beginning in 1931. Miss Grace McSwain and Mrs. W. J. Smith sponsored the club and helped the members meet their aim "to learn to love good books, to get better acquainted with good books, and to read good books."
Hi-Y was an all boy organization, once headed by Mr. Pardue. They met often in one of the local churches. Their topics of discussion included gambling, ills of alcohol, etc. They had notorious initiations. The members were made to dress like girls, coat their faces with lipstick, or carry blocks of wood around all day.
The first year for the National Honor Society at Grove was 1930-1931. Th- club had 31 charter memoers including Richard Dunlap, Nelle Currier, and Philip Wyatt, who was the only junior ever to be president of the organization.
The Pep Club was organized in 1944 and its first sponsor was Miss Cook. Pep rallies were held on the steps of the Post Office.
Two of the outstanding organizations of the Hill are Thespians and the National Forensic League. The Thespians had their beginning in 1932 with Mrs. Clem Krider as sponsor. The club is basically the same as it was from the beginning in that it still holds an annual banquet, initiation, and plays, if not publically, then for the members. The first play "Seventeen" was given for the public at the Court House. Also under the sponsorship of Miss Ruby, the National Forensic League began in 1935. With a lifetime outstanding record, N. F. L. has always been in the spotlight at Grove.
The Grove chapter of Quill and Scroll was named the "William Cullen Bryant Chapter". It met once a month and was a journalist organization sponsored by Miss Katie Lee Thompson, the librarian.
Probably two of the most unusual clubs ever to present themselves to the Grove High students were the Fanatic Bachelors' Institute and the Old Maids' Institute, organized in 1953. To become a member of OMI, any female must have sworn off boys. A member was said to be subject to expulsion if found guilty of looking at, talking to, or dating any of the male species. FBI, being similar to OMI, could be joined only if the boy hadn't had a date in the last six months. He could not seat himself next to a girl in classes, athletic events, the lunchroom, or chapel. Members could not wink at, talk to, or look at any female. Violation of the forestated rules was said to be punishable by dismissal, fines, or imprisonment in the Tower and a blind date with a girl.
The Acapella Choir was a short-lived but active singing group. It was arranged and instituted by Miss Dorthea Bond in 1952. This choir, whose name meant "without musical accompaniment", consisted of twenty boys and twenty girls chosen from the Glee Club.
The Junior Classical League was organized in Apgil of 1956 under the supervision of Mrs. Ruth Smith, who remains the present sponsor. The purpose of this club was to give the student a thorough knowledge of Roman life, history, and literature plus a practical and cultural value of Latin and to interest other students in the Classical languages.
In the early 1950's Mrs. Ruby Krider began to sponsor the Debate Club at Grove. It is actually a small chapter included in the National Forensic League, whose purpose is to encourage and interest students to take an active voice in the everyday events of our country.
"Miss Ruby" also sponsored the Dramatic Club, which is no longer in existance. At each meeting certain members of the club presented a play, and Mrs.. Krider would give a reading.
The Students' Organization is a legislative body giving the students a voice and practice in self-government. This group works with the Administratiojn as a policy-making body. They plan extracurricular activities such as Homecoming. The officers, elected by the student body, must meet certain requirements. The Students' Organization has served its purpose well at Grove for many years and has pleased both the students and teachers by proving its capability.
As a small part of a national organization, the Grove Key Club chapter was organized in 1953. This club has always done much for the betterment of the school. Another club for the improvement of the school and community is Interact, organized in 1966. The Grove chapter has had such projects as sponsoring an exchange student and "adopting" a foreign orphan.
Under the sponsorship of Mr. Max French, the Grove chapter of Future Teachers of America was organized in 1966. The purpose of FTA is to help people interested in teaching discover the fields of education.
The French Club is the newest club on the Hill. Organized in 1968 with Mrs. Shirley Rowe as advisor, the club seeks better to acquaint French students with the , civilization and culture of France and to teach members to 'use the language with more facility.
The Science Club is probably the oldest existing club at Grove, being organized in 1931.
NAVIGATIONAL BAR ~ SECTION TWO:
PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 PAGE 5 PAGE 6 PAGE 7 PAGE 8
BACK TO WHAT'S NEW
BACK TO THE 1969 GROVE COMET INDEX (TO REACH THE OTHER SECTIONS)
BACK TO ALL YEARBOOKS INDEX
BACK TO HOME PAGE