Edwin Wiley Grove Timeline

1850:    Edwin Wiley Grove was born in Whiteville, Hardeman County,   Tennessee, on December 27

1874:    Grove came to Paris, Tennessee; became a clerk in a drug store for Dr. S.H. Caldwell and A.B. Mitchum

1877:    Grove formulated Ferrine, a quinine product and a precursor to his famous chill tonic

1878:    Grove developed Febriline, a tasteless quinine remedy

1880:    Grove bought out Dr. Caldwell’s drug store and established Grove’s Pharmacy

by 1881 Dr. F.F. Porter had his office in the E.W. Grove drug store

1883:    E.W. Grove Druggist and Practical Pharmacist advertised in a Paris newspaper

1884:    Grove’s wife, Mary Louisia Moore Grove, died in September and was buried in the Paris City Cemetery

1885:    Grove formulated Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic, sold over the counter with half the strength of Febriline

1886:    the Paris Medicine Company organized in Paris, with the help of   local investors, for the manufacture and
sale of Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic, packed and mixed in a 50 gallon steel drum with a hand pump attached;
the offices were located on the west side of the court square on the second floor; Grove married Alice Gertrude
Matthewson of  Murray

1888:    image of Grove’s Pharmacy in Paris appears on flier

1889:    State of Tennessee issued a charter to the Paris Medicine Company on August 20; the company began to move its operation to St. Louis; Grove sold his home at 607 North Poplar Street in Paris

1890:    more bottles of Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic were sold than bottles of Coca-Cola and the tonic was a household name for decades; the British Army made the tonic standard issue for every soldier going off to mosquito-infested lands; the Paris Medicine Company erected a building on Main Street in St. Louis

1891: Paris Medicine Company completed its move to St. Louis, Missouri; principal ownership remained in Paris; Paris Medicine Co. license to do business in the State of Missouri was issued on August 8; the company was advertising in a St. Louis newspaper by September

1893:    the Laxative Bromo Quinine name was copyrighted

1894:    Dr. Porter’s Antiseptic Healing Oil, developed in Paris, was acquired on January 29 by May, 1896, the Paris
Medicine Co. had moved to Chestnut Street

1895:    Grove visited Paris on December 20 and reported the Paris Medicine Co. as prosperous

1896:    Grove’s Laxitive Bromo Quinine, the world’s first cold tablets, are released; the machine to make and count the tablets and fill the boxes was invented by Grove’s son-in-law, Fred Seely

1897:    E.W. Grove visited Asheville, North Carolina, for relief of   bronchitis and chronic  hiccoughs

1898:    E.W. Grove established a summer residence in Asheville on October 24; Fred Loring Seely married Grove’s
daughter, Evelyn

1899:    Pazo Ointment for piles was acquired on July 1

by 1900 the Paris Medicine Co. moved to Pine Street and became the largest consumer of quinine in the world; the
company had branch offices in Toronto, Canada; London, England; Rio de Janiero, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina;
and Paris, France

1902:    E.W. Grove made first offer to the Henry County Quarterly Court through O.C. Barton on April 9 to give
$20,000 to build and equip a public high school; court rejected offer due in part to a smallpox outbreak
in the county

1904:    Grove made a $250 donation to the public library in Paris on January 9

1905:    E.W. Grove made second offer to the Henry County Quarterly Court on July 3 to endow a free public high
school in the amount of $50,000 that would earn at least $4,000 a year      if the City of Paris and Henry County
acquired the land and built the high school; the County Court voted 23-4 in favor of Grove’s proposal; Grove
became the principal stockholder of the Atlanta Georgian, which later became the Atlanta Journal-Constitution;
Grove formed the Fortified Hills residential subdivision in Atlanta; Grove began the Grove Park real estate development in Asheville and spent $100,000 to build one of the nation’s first motor roads

1906:    E.W. Grove personally fixed the site for the Grove High School and convinced T.P. Jernigan to donate
17 acres on Jernigan Heights (formerly known as McCampbell Heights, the highest point in West Tennessee,
for the school’s campus; the cornerstone for E.W. Grove-Henry County High School was laid in a Masonic
Ceremony on June 26 following a parade from downtown Paris and was reported as a great day for Henry County;
the school opened in September in the City Hall’s library and council room until Grove Tower, the school’s first building was completed; the school was the first privately endowed public high school in Tennessee; Clovis and
Ashley Chappell were brothers and the school’s first co-principals

1907:    E.W. Grove provided uniforms for Grove High School’s first football team, the Chill Tonics, coached by
Dr. Clovis Chappell; Barton Field was donated by Col. O.C. Barton

by 1908 music, history, English, Latin, Greek, French, German, geography, geology, physiology, and physics
were taught at Grove High School; the Hamilton Literary Society for the boys and the Elizabeth Browning
Literary Society for girls met every Friday evening; the YMCA and the YWCA met each Wednesday and
Friday afternoon

by 1910 the Paris Medicine Co. produced the following products: Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic,  Grove’s
Chronic Chill Cure, Dr. Porter’s Antiseptic Healing Oil, Laxative Bromo Quinine, Grove’s Black Root Liver
Pills, Grove’s Baby Bowel Remedy, Grove’s Worm Syrup, Pazo Ointment for piles, Grove’s Shave-Ease,
Grove’s New Discovery for Catarrh, Grove’s Common-Sense Nasal Douche, Febriline or Syrup of Quinine, Concentrated Febriline, Grove’s Tasteless Quinine and Quionin

1910:    Cavitt Hall, originally a girls’ dormitory, became the first addition to Grove High; the  building was
funded in part by Col. O.C. Barton and named for his wife’s family

1912:    E.W. Grove visited the high school during Thanksgiving week and was warmly greeted  by the
students; upon his return to St. Louis, Grove sent a check to provide fresh fruit for the students; after a
few years Grove stopped the apple money because the board of education used these funds to repair the
road leading to the school; boys’ basketball begins; Grove’s Atlanta Georgian newspaper was sold to William Randolph Hearst

1913:    Grove Park Inn in Asheville was dedicated on July 12 with William Jennings Bryan as the keynote
speaker; Grove’s son-in-law, Fred Seely managed the inn

1915:    E.W. Grove-Henry County High School was among the first educational institutions admitted to
membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools

1916:    the cornerstone of First Presbyterian Church, Paris was laid; E.W. Grove paid for much of the building’s construction and a stained glass window, The Light of the World was placed in his honor

1917:    Grove High School Principal Dudley M. Clements established the nation’s first  vocational agricultural program under the Smith-Hughes Act passed by Congress on February 23; classes met in the basement of
Grove Tower; the first funeral at First Presbyterian Church, Paris took place for Dr. S.H. Caldwell in 1917; friends worked all night installing seats for the funeral

1919:    charter for The Grove Laboratories was issued in December

1920:    Grove purchased the Manor of Albermarle Park in Asheville

1922:    E.W. Grove bought the old Battery Park Hotel in Asheville

1923:    E.W. Grove made his last visit to Paris during the city’s centennial celebration; Grove razed the
Battery Park Hotel and removed a hill to make way for a downtown expansion of Asheville;

by 1924 Cavitt Hall was converted to a home economics department and apartments for the coach and janitor;
the basement continued to be used as a cafeteria until 1949

1924:    Grove’s new Battery Park Hotel opened in September

1927:    E.W. Grove died in his Battery Park Hotel in Asheville on January 27 and his death made front-page
news in Asheville, St. Louis, and Paris; a memorial service was held in First Baptist Church, Paris; Grove’s
funeral was held in First Presbyterian Church in Paris and he was buried in the Paris City Cemetery; Grove’s son-in-law, Fred Seely, sued the estate of  E.W. Grove over the control of the company or a sizeable bequest after
Grove’s death

1928:    Gertrude Grove died and was buried in the Paris City Cemetery

1929:    Grove’s final realized vision, the Grove Arcade (minus its planned 12-story tower), was completed in
Asheville; the Arcade was likely America’s first indoor shopping mall

1931:    E.W. Grove, Jr., proposed to erect several buildings on the Grove High campus as a memorial to his
father; the building plans never materialized as he died in 1934

1934:    Paris Medicine Company changed its name to The Grove Laboratories, Inc., in July

1937:    a building housing a gymnasium and two classrooms was erected with WPA funds and labor

1940:    the estate of E.W. Grove, Jr., gave Grove High School $10,000; a portion of these funds   was used to
repair Cavitt Hall after a fire three years later

1943:    fire destroyed the interior of Cavitt Hall on January 27

1948:    American Legion Memorial Stadium was built at Barton Field

1949:    Weston Hall was completed and named for former teacher, Professor A.S. Weston who died in 1946

1952:    The Grove Laboratories, Inc., name changed to Grove Laboratories, Inc., in August

1954:    a field house was erected at Barton Field

1956:    50th Anniversary of Founding of Grove High School program was held in the gymnasium  on April 27

1957:    Grove Laboratories, Inc., and its subsidiaries acquired by Bristol-Myers Company on November 8

1959:    Grove Junior High School was built to house grades seven through nine on the Grove High campus

1969:    the last senior class graduated from Grove High with John Underwood as principal; a new consolidated
high school, Henry County High School, opened on August 29 (long-range plans called for tennis courts and a swimming pool); Grove Junior High School remained on the campus

1980:    Grove Tower was placed on the National Register of Historic Places

1985:    after years of deterioration, Cavitt Hall was demolished

1986:    Grove Tower was saved through the efforts of the Save the Tower Association and was the community’s
major Homecoming ’86 project; the Tower became the home of the  Henry County Board of Education

1996:    E.W. Grove School became the nation’s first school for high school freshmen with a stand-alone campus

2000:    the Grove and Seely families were reunited at Cavitt Place (built by O.C. Barton as his home in 1916),
the home of the Paris-Henry County Heritage Center

2006:    the Grove Centennial Celebration occurred on June 24 recognizing the 100th anniversary     of E.W. Grove-Henry County High School (The School That Came From A Bottle), the construction of Grove Tower, and free public secondary education in Henry County



blumain.gif (1692 bytes)