DOWNTOWN    PARIS  ~  c.  1955

 

This aerial photo of downtown Paris, courtesy of Dan and Juanita Brooks, is believed to have been taken in 1955, judging from the newest cars that could be identified. In the foreground are Fentress Street, angling off at lower left, and Blythe Street, angling up on the right. (Reproduced from the Paris-Henry County Heritage Center Heritage Collection Series Number 24.)

 

dtparisa.jpg (142943 bytes)

 

Identifications made August 2002.  Among the buildings that can be identified are these (perhaps you can identify others):

1. Golden Peacock cosmetics plant, later Mitchum Company Now city parking lot.
2. Coca-Cola bottling plant, now occupied by McCartney Produce
3. Pan-Am service station, owned by a Mr. Reynolds
4. First Presbyterian Church
5. Masonic hall
6. Dinwiddie's Restaurant, now TVA offices
7. Post office
8. Courthouse
9. Commercial Bank
10. Capitol Theatre, now Episcopal parish house
11. Grace Episcopal Church
12. City Hall
13. First Baptist Church
14. Salant & Salant shirt factory
15. East side court square
16. North side court square, including Charles Store
17. West side court square
18. Market Street buildings that included P.H. Jones
Grocery, Carter Sales & Service and Lonardo Piano
Co., now Post Office parking lot

dtchart.jpg (72013 bytes)

 

elediv.gif (808 bytes)

 

BACK  TO WHAT'S  NEW

BACK  TO  PARIS-HENRY   COUNTY   BYGONE  INDEX

BACK  TO  HOME  PAGE